Re: [cdin] Re: Responding to your CDDB Inquiries (fwd)

Greg Stein (gstein nospam at lyra.org)
Tue, 09 Mar 1999 13:08:24 -0800

Dan Fandrich wrote:

> > People have mentioned the LGPL. That isn't good enough. It means that
> > you still must distribute your code in a linkable form such that a
> > person can relink with a modified library. That won't work for most
> > people.
>
> As long as the program calls the FreeCDDB .so or .dll dynamic library, that
> should be enough to satisfy the LGPL. The dynamic library can be changed
> as desired and will link with the program at run-time.

Ah. Good point. I hadn't thought about the dynamic-link aspect :-)

Yes, the LGPL would suffice as long as dynamic linking is available. I
would still try to avoid it, though, because I've seen some players
which are distributed as a big lump (to give a small, single-file
footprint).

Cheers,
-g

--