Re: [cdin] RE: Ok

Greg Stein (gstein nospam at lyra.org)
Tue, 09 Mar 1999 14:19:26 -0800

Jeffrey Baker wrote:
> I wrote:
> > I beat you to it last night :-)
> >
> > Please refer to http://www.cdin.org/ for more info.
> >
> > However, I would not hold that up as the de facto reference. While
> > Python is a fantastic language, having a reference implementation in C
> > would probably be better. Hell, I'd rather see an Apache module
> > myself... (I may do this based on some of my mod_dav work)
> >
> > So... if you're itching to code, then please go for it. Take a look at
> > the spec and table design that I posted to the web site; if that agrees
> > with you, then you're set.
>
> I have said before, and I will say again, and I think many people agree with
> me. There is no way that a relational database is going to scale to the
> project at hand. The XML must just be in flat files. It would be *so* much
> faster, easier to mirror, vastly more extensible, etc. If you have a
> relational database, you lose the extensibility of the XML.

I completely disagree. Relational databases are *meant* to scale like
this.

Your suggestion of using flat files will break a lot quicker than my
relational database. Go ahead and try to dump 250k files into your
filesystem. You won't be able to do it. Every hear of "inodes" ? You'll
need to repartition with a larger set of inodes and a smaller block
size.

I'm more than willing to agree to disagree. I will continue work against
a relational database. It provides much more flexibility, data
integrity, reporting ability, and the ability to scale. If you believe
that you can build a similar system from flat files, then please... go
for it.

XML has nothing to do with filesystem vs. database. That only comes into
play if you attempt to capture arbitrary chunks of XML from the input; I
do not think that is a valid approach. The submitted XML must be parsed
and the relevant data extracted... allowing arbitrary crap from
arbitrary submittors just won't cut it.

Cheers,
-g

--