Re: [cdin] RE: Ok

Greg Stein (gstein nospam at lyra.org)
Tue, 09 Mar 1999 14:44:03 -0800

Justus Pendleton wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 09, 1999 at 02:19:26PM -0800, Greg Stein wrote:
> > I'm more than willing to agree to disagree. I will continue work against
> > a relational database. It provides much more flexibility, data
> > integrity, reporting ability, and the ability to scale.
>
> You forgot to mention transactions :). I would think it would be
> really nice to say "gee that jerk just submitted 25,000 bogus CDs but
> I can just ignore the whole damn transaction rather than going through
> each one by hand".

The relational database is going to conduct transactions on a much
smaller time scale than what you're referring to. It will open a
transaction, the records will be inserted, then it will close the
transaction. Done. An editor cannot come back along and unwind it
without some serious effort (you'd need to go back to an old version and
replay some (edited) update logs).

In any case, I don't believe transactions are actually called for in the
system. That is mostly necessary when data is being altered or deleted.
For the most part, we're only looking at inserts.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/