RE: Responding to your CDDB Inquiries (fwd)

Bill Kearney (wkearney nospam at gilman.edu)
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 18:01:37 -0500

To put it simply, some good ideas don't scale into commercial solutions.

It's my opinion that the 'disturbance' presently surrounding cddb licensing
is based on the situtation of CDDB evolving from a free "system" to being
'converted' into an advertising mechanism for Escient.

You don't see anyone attempting to 'license' UseNET in this fashion because
you can't. The whole structure of NNTP, like it or not, doesn't have a
central source. CDDB allows for a central source. This is good if you're
Escient and you think you can profit. However, it appears most users
currently raising a stink don't like this idea.

The solution seems to be to start using an impossible-to-centralize system
like NNTP. This doesn't do a thing, profit-wise, for Escient. Is this bad?
No, the bad part was Escient thinking this was a commercially exploitable
idea in the first place!

Replies to:

1. Hate mail is bad. No excuses. Don't like someone's service? Stop using
it!
2. "Their service"? Uh, based on OUR data?
3. Try to make us pay for it, royalty-wise? Yeah, they KNEW that would
never fly! Force us to become their advertising minions? Again, who are
they trying to kid?
4. Yes, free for end users. But they're the ones's dumb enough to think
this was a money maker, not us.

Long live (the free cdindex without a catchy name)!