Distributed DB's bad idea...

August Zajonc (augustz nospam at bigfoot.com)
Tue, 09 Mar 1999 15:20:48 -0800

This idea of everyone having their own database (of probably on a couple of
hundred CD's at the most) and then synchronizing them all (so that everyone
has all 250k cd listings) seems to explode the complexity way beyond the
keep it simple stupid idea that we had earlier. It's a neat idea but:

Where do CD players connect to? People have suggested trying primary than
going through all the distibuted DB's and the like. As a software author, I
can tell you I want to hit ONE server, get a couple of reponses IF needed
(sometime just head will sufice) and be done. Spending 20 minutes goin
around 100's of DB's is asking for it. Neither do I want all my users to
have to worry about setting up, much less sycnhronizing their system with
everybody elses (much less write the code that does this cross-platform,
mac, win, unix,,,)

The list goes on...

As long as the data is free, as has been pointed out before, we are not
terribly concerned that players have only one place to go.

August

-----Original Message-----
From: Justus Pendleton <Justus.Pendleton nospam at ascend.com>
To: cdindex nospam at freeamp.org <cdindex nospam at freeamp.org>; Freecddb-Developer
<freecddb-developer nospam at bigred.lcs.mit.edu>; cdin nospam at cdin.org <cdin nospam at cdin.org>
Date: Tuesday, March 09, 1999 3:05 PM
Subject: Re: [cdin] RE: Ok

On Tue, Mar 09, 1999 at 02:44:03PM -0800, Greg Stein wrote:
> The relational database is going to conduct transactions on a much
> smaller time scale than what you're referring to.

Well I guess that all depends on how the system works :-) Since you
never told me what was wrong with my idea of giving everyone their own
database and supporting merging databases (with associated
transactions and rollbacks) I still don't know why it wouldn't work.

Mind you, I'm not saying it will work, just that _I_ don't know why it
won't work. If someone can tell me why it won't work then I stop
abusing myself with this delusional fantasy.... %^)

--
Justus Pendleton                                                 ____