RE: Reality Check and Ideas

Bill Kearney (wkearney nospam at gilman.edu)
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 18:30:03 -0500

To nitpick, DNS is easy. Two text files and a daemon. Technically, a web
server is harder.

The missing feature is mirroring/scaling/distributing. What if we just took
the exising CDDB protocol and made it work like news? That alone would be a
BIG win.

An issue to point out is firewalls. Let's not wander into using new port
numbers. Using the existing well-known port 80 seems as good an idea as
any. Most sensible system administrators hide their machines behind
firewalls. Let's make sure we can work with them for user queries.

Yes, KISS.