Re: Reality Check and Ideas

Brian Onn (onn nospam at tibco.com)
Tue, 09 Mar 1999 16:54:36 -0800

--------------6C48836018F6FECCA31F37F4

August Zajonc wrote:

> ... Will the same hold true with cddb data lookups (ie, will
> there be a good hit rate on the cached data, or do people listen to too many
> different things...) Of course, this isn't ACTUALLY that big a problem,
> because the number of cddb data requests per day is likely to be minescule
> when compared to the number of DNS lookups being performed... But it makes
> for some interesting thoughts.
>
> August

I guess that answer would depend on your favorite music genre and the
demographics of your local ISP ;-)

I agree with all the good points that Alan Cox has raised in favor of DNS, but I
really don't like the idea of sharing the load with the millions of other
queries being done daily; The DNS can be slow on some days. Why would we want
to use a heavily loaded system to query *before* we can begin to listen to our
music?

Also, not all firewalls permit DNS traffic. We run separate DNS servers on our
corporate (inside) net that know nothing about the outside, Internet DNS
servers, and so clients on the inside can't make DNS queries to the outside. So
a DNS solution wouldn't work for many corporate users sitting at their desks.

If the core storage and distribution mechanism is DNS, then there would need to
be a http->dns gateway and perhaps several servers... but then the client needs
to understand two protocols now, and the developers may just opt for one, the
common ground, HTTP, defeating the end-goals of DNS.

Brian

--------------6C48836018F6FECCA31F37F4

begin:vcard
n:Onn;Brian
tel;fax:(650) 846-500-
tel;home:(650) 312-8696
tel;work:(650) 846-5049
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.tibco.com
org:TIBCO Software Inc
adr:;;3165 Porter Drive;Palo Alto;CA;94304;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:onn nospam at tibco.com
fn:Brian Onn
end:vcard