Re: Reality Check and Ideas

August Zajonc (augustz nospam at bigfoot.com)
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 08:14:10 -0800

Flood fill using sanity checks for what purpose? Added complication (you
need to code it all, make it x-platform) so that I get what? A proprietary
DB on my system? No thanks... I'll take MySQL on FreeBSD and Access on
Windows and ..... Tables, fields and values defined by SQL, dumpable to text
files for different implementations (DNS vs HTTP etc...)

August

-----Original Message-----
From: Andreas Bogk <andreas nospam at andreas.org>
To: cdindex nospam at freeamp.org <cdindex nospam at freeamp.org>
Date: Wednesday, March 10, 1999 5:41 AM
Subject: Re: Reality Check and Ideas

Hm. One could extend the idea of organizing the data in tree form, by
adding hashes to the nodes that hash all the children of that
node. Then an update between two servers would work like that:

Server1: I have a hash of 23 for the whole tree
Server2: Nope, I have something different.
Server1: Ok then, there's subtree 1 with a hash of 42
Server2: Match.
Server1: Subtree 2 has a hash of 105.
Server2: No, that's different for me.
Server1: Ok, subtree 2 has an entry 17 with hash 69.
Server2: Yup.
Server1: And it has an entry 66 with hash 47.
Server2: I don't have that, give it to me!

and so on. So basically a traversal of the tree with cutoff using
hashes. The effect should be that of flood fill with sanity checks.

I think I'll write some perl prototype for that, but I won't have time
before weekend.

Andreas

--
"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the Beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,