Re: [cdin] [DB] Feature Set 1.1

Brian Murray (brian nospam at proximity.com.au)
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 14:42:49 +0000

On Mar 11, 21:04, Larry Kain wrote:

> > Why not? We have a golden opportunity to build such a thing. With just
> > a little more thought put into the database, we can farm the CD-playing
> > public for their data-entry efforts. Why not build the one, canonical
> > music database? Those with an interest in particular artists, who run
> > fan pages etc will have an incentive to ensure their artists' entries
> > are correct.
>
> If we want to "farm the CD-playing public for their data-entry efforts" we
> don't need something that's better than CDDB; we need something that's A
> WHOLE LOT BETTER than CDDB.

I agree. Are we up to it? If not, at least put in place a DB structure
that makes the most use of people's data entry efforts, and allows a
transition to, or at least cross-referencing to, the mother of all music
DB's.

What does this mean? Probably go some way down the path of separating
"artists" from albums as separate, linked database records. What else
I'm not sure, ideas anyone?

> There really should be one big canonical music database but the implications
> are staggering. ISO is working on standards for identifying recordings and
> music. See http://www.nlc-bnc.ca/iso/tc46sc9/whatnew.htm.

Thanks for the link. Playing devil's advocate though, ISO were working
on a network protocol stack too. Remember the good ol' 7-layer ISO/OSI
model? We could create the TCP/IP equivalent ...

> I've seen references to ISRC International Standard Recording Code in this
> group mentioning that some CD are already carrying the code. The standard
> is not yet final, nor for the ISWC International Standard Works code.

The ISRC is nothing exciting, it's a 2-letter country code, a 3-letter
"owner" code, a 2-digit year (go Y2K bug!) and a 5-digit serial number.
It dates back to the dawn of CD's (it's in the original spec). However
it's mainly deployed on classical recordings, almost no "popular" cd's
carry it, nor a universal product code.

Cheers,
Brian.

--