Re: a whole pile of questions

robert nospam at moon.eorbit.net
Thu, 1 Apr 1999 11:04:54 -0800 (PST)

On 31 Mar, Darin Adler wrote:

> I think that XML implies Unicode (in some kind of 8-bit encoding). Isn't
> that right? The XML parsing library I'm using returns all the text to me
> in Unicode format (or in UTF-8 if I want to use 8-bit characters
> internally) and I assume it's handling the character set issue for me.

You're right and technically I am not completely XML compliant. The
data in the server is stored in ISO8859/1, since it entered in via a
web browser. I just did a bit more research and it turns out that an
XML document can specify an ISO-8859-1 encoding. I modified the XML
header to now specify the ISO-8859-1 encoding instead of UTF-8. I
believe that I will need to wait until perl supports UNICODE before I
can change that. Stable perl UNICODE support is still a few months out.

> Does anyone know of a widely-available CD with a data track on it?

Lauryn Hill's latest CD: http://www.freeamp.org/cgi-bin/cdi/hget.pl?albumid=1974
Or go to the track search and enter 'data track' and it will return you
a bunch.

> So your intent is to keep the 15-track and 17-track versions of an album
> like this separate, even though they are "the same"? That sounds right to
> me. You might want a "related recordings" feature like the one in the
> Internet Movie Database, where they link versions of the same movie
> together.
>
> The number of tracks is not the only issue though. If someone enters a
> CD, chooses a title from the list, and then discovers that the tracks are
> not really the same CD, there should be a path in the CD entry process
> that lets them create a distinct CD with the same title or simply
> reconsider linking this CD ID to the existing title. Don't you think?

I agree completely -- both of these issues are on my todo list.

>>I haven't really decided exactly what extra data to store.
>
> I think that the Internet Movie Database is an excellent example here.
> Here's some food for thought:

Again, I totally agree.

> The most valuable items to me seem to be the names of the composer and
> lyricist (especially for classical CDs), copyright date, and links to
> other versions of the same disc and other discs in a multi-disc
> collection.

Yes, and we should also add a link from our CDs to the lyrics server.

> I have added a feature to the CD Index version of CDR/AIC that launches a
> web browser and takes you to the CD Index CD entry page. This lets people
> look up a batch of CDs and then enter the information for the ones that
> aren't in the database yet. This is a reasonable starting point.

Great!

--ruaok Freezerburn! All else is only icing. -- Soul Coughing

Robert Kaye -- robert nospam at moon.eorbit.net http://moon.eorbit.net/~robert