repeating history

A. Lester Buck III (buck nospam at compact.com)
Sun, 04 Apr 1999 00:35:47 -0600

On Wed, Mar 31, 1999 at 10:22:06AM -0800, robert nospam at moon.eorbit.net wrote:
> On 31 Mar, Robert Haig wrote:
> > list of trusted servers. This parts from the "all servers being equal"
>
> We can't really part from this model -- it opens up the possibility of
> someone repeating the CDDB sell-out.

This is an interesting technical problem - how to synchronize
distributed data among untrusted servers. Almost all models of
distributed systems have a few trusted servers to get things going.

There are those Byzantine General protocols that try to stop
an actively malicious server from bringing down the rest of
the system.

There are also those fun algorithms for playing poker across a
network by getting a fair deal under mutual distrust. This was
a paper by Rivist (sp?) and others of RSA fame, and demonstrates
some fun ways to use cryptography.

But trying to solve a social problem (stopping someone from
selling out) purely through technical means seems to be making
the problem harder than it is.

I suggest using the classic entity for public assests: a non-profit
corporation. For about $200 ($50 to incorporate, $150 for IRS
501(c)3 preliminary determination), it is possible to use all
the existing machinery that would keep non-profit assets in the
non-profit domain.

Here is the standard boilerplate required by the IRS in the
articles of incorporation and bylaws of the corporation that
prevents anyone from benefiting personally from income to the
corporation:

No part of the net earnings of the Corporation shall inure
to the benefit of any Director of the Corporation, officer
of the Corporation, or any private individual (except that
reasonable compensation may be paid for services rendered to
or for the Corporation affecting one or more of its purposes),
and no Director or officer of the Corporation, or any private
individual shall be entitled to share in the distribution of
any of the corporate assets on dissolution of the Corporation.

c. Upon dissolution of the Corporation or the winding up
of its affairs, the assets of the Corporation shall be
distributed exclusively to charitable organizations which
would then qualify under the provisions of Section 501(c)(3)
of the Internal Revenue Code and its Regulations as they now
exist or as they may be hereafter amended.

A reasonably diverse Board of Directors would prevent misuse of
the database asset. The non-profit corporation would control the
root servers, and be dedicated to publicly propagating the data.

The only downside of this is that, if it is determined that the
CD track data is not in the public domain, the recording industry
has one place to go to shut it down. But if it is illegal to
collect this data, a distributed trust system wouldn't be that
much harder to shutdown.

I have some experience in this area if anyone is interested in
formalizing the CD index project into a formal entity to run the
trusted servers. No, I don't want to serve on the board, but I
can supply a standard set of documents, since I founded a 501(c)3
corporation and herded it through the IRS determination process.

Best regards,

Lester

A. Lester Buck		buck nospam at compact.com