Re: CD Index Update

robert nospam at moon.eorbit.net
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 23:07:21 -0700 (PDT)

On 10 Apr, Marc van Woerkom wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> 3) The searching algorithm is improved to allow the band R.E.M. to be
>> found. :-)
>
> Do you ignore dots now?

Dots have been ignored all along. I was rejecting single characters as
'noise' from the search, ensuring that R.E.M. would never be found. Now
I make sure to match single characters that are not part of a larger
word. For instance, searching for 'A' would match 'A SONG', but no
'ALONE'. Two or more character search terms are still substring matched.

> This is alsointeresting for the "DJ" vs "D.J." issue.

That's another issue altogether. :-(

--ruaok Freezerburn! All else is only icing. -- Soul Coughing

Robert Kaye -- robert nospam at moon.eorbit.net http://moon.eorbit.net/~robert