Re: names, artists

Nick Lamb (njl98r nospam at ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Wed, 14 Apr 1999 14:13:29 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 14 Apr 1999, Bert Vermeulen wrote:

> Don't know if this has come up yet...

IIRC it's mentioned in the submission process, so if you add a new Artist
entry to the database, you are told about this.
Unfortunately if you add multiple artist CDs there are no checks, tests
or warnings about this sort of thing, so those tend to be where the
mistakes are made.

> I noticed some artists have double entries -- firstname lastname and
> lastname, firstname. What's the preferred style? If I edit an existing
> record to change to say the first style, is this going to link to the
> right artist, or will it create another artist record that happens to
> be identical?

The correct forms are AFAIK Smith, Dave and Jackdaws, The
The basic style seems to be "like a Library index", which I don't really
agree with, but any one style is better than none at all.

Changing two artist names to be indentical results in one artist with that
name, owning all the albums and tracks previously credited to the two
seperate artists. There's currently no way to split artists who were wrongly
joined (there may actually be e.g. Dave Smith "jazz nobody" and Dave
Smith "rock superstar") -- I'm sure we'll deal with this when it's finally
necessary, can't do worse than CDDB anyway.

Nick.