Re: Future of CDDB replacement projects

Jon A. Cruz (joncruz nospam at geocities.com)
Fri, 30 Apr 1999 03:57:44 +0000

Marc van Woerkom wrote:

> > MSIE and NN 3.x still had the Spyglass DDE stuff. I haven't tried it since 4.x versions. Might be in there,
> > might not.
>
> Do you know of any info on this which is available on the web?

http://www.spyglass.com/products/smosaic/sdi/sdi%5Fspec.html
(note that the page was last updated 8/96)
MS had been phasing out the DDE support, so I'm not sure of the state of things in MSIE 4.x & 5.x

MSIE 3.x, NN 3.x and Opera ( http://www.operasoftware.com/support/apps.htm ) are known to have DDE support.

> > If you only want to launch URL's, there's also newer simple methods involving launching it as a document.
>
> Yep.
>
> It is just about pointing an already running browser instance to
> an URL, or firing up a new browser with it if there was none.
>
> (Nothing esoteric like adding bookmarks or so..)

Yup. Of course then you don't have to muck about trying to locate the proper 'server' to send the DDE to, etc.
But then again, perhaps you are trying to not so that in order to keep Win3.1 compatibility...