Re: Future of CDDB replacement projects

Daniel Biddle (deltab nospam at ps.cus.umist.ac.uk)
Fri, 30 Apr 1999 07:49:36 +0100 (GMT)

On Fri, 30 Apr 1999, Jon A. Cruz wrote:

> Marc van Woerkom wrote:
>
> > > MSIE and NN 3.x still had the Spyglass DDE stuff. I haven't tried it since 4.x versions. Might be in there,
> > > might not.
> >
> > Do you know of any info on this which is available on the web?
>
> http://www.spyglass.com/products/smosaic/sdi/sdi%5Fspec.html
> (note that the page was last updated 8/96)
> MS had been phasing out the DDE support, so I'm not sure of the state of things in MSIE 4.x & 5.x

I don't know for certain, but I think they want people to use COM
Automation and all the associated baggage that comes with that.

> MSIE 3.x, NN 3.x and Opera ( http://www.operasoftware.com/support/apps.htm ) are known to have DDE support.
>
> > > If you only want to launch URL's, there's also newer simple methods involving launching it as a document.
> >
> > Yep.
> >
> > It is just about pointing an already running browser instance to
> > an URL, or firing up a new browser with it if there was none.
> >
> > (Nothing esoteric like adding bookmarks or so..)

No, just use the URL as if it were the name of a program, in WinExec iirc.
This also works for registered documents and folders, and you can type any
of these into the Start/Run box too.

> Yup. Of course then you don't have to muck about trying to locate the proper 'server' to send the DDE to, etc.
> But then again, perhaps you are trying to not so that in order to keep Win3.1 compatibility...

hope this helps,

--
Daniel Biddle
deltab nospam at cus.umist.ac.uk