Re: Library ideas

robert nospam at moon.eorbit.net
Mon, 5 Jul 1999 17:25:33 -0700 (PDT)

On 28 Jun, Stephen van Egmond wrote:
> Issue: The cdindex server currently bounces you around with a bunch of
> HTTP redirects when you approach it with the URL given out by the
> client app. There needs to be a guaranteed shortcut through all this
> nonsense. I'd recommend making a non-HTTP protocol to pipe requests to
> the web server (for query and submission). This should really not be
> hard, at most a half hour's time with perl.

I'm not certain I understand your solution, but I think this entire
problem can be avoided by simply having the client go to
www.cdindex.org directly and the server not doing any redirects. We can
just place a non-redirecting notice on www.freeamp.org/cdindex to let
people know that they should go and get a new client.

Also, I would like to make sure the initial library design is flexible
enough to support automatic mirror resolution in the future. I envision
the library going to the main server and asking for the mirrors in a
given region (continent?), and then pinging each of the mirrors in
succession and then choosing the mirror that has the lowest ping
time...

--ruaok Freezerburn! All else is only icing. -- Soul Coughing

Robert Kaye -- robert nospam at moon.eorbit.net http://moon.eorbit.net/~robert