Re: Library comments

robin nospam at acm.org
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 15:15:34 +0100

On Tue, 6 Jul 1999 03:05:14 -0700 <marc nospam at freeamp.org> wrote:
> And I would like to know what is more naturally:
> a time display in minutes:seconds.frames (1 frame = 1/75 s)
> or minutes:seconds.hundreth-seconds
Surely the library should work in terms of frames only?

It would be reasonable to provide convenience routines to convert
between frames and a neutral format, like POSIX struct timeval (seconds
and microseconds). Platform-specific routines might also be useful
to convert the results of OS calls to "our" sort of frame counts
(like adding/subtracting the constant offsets apparently seen on some
platforms).

Client software can choose to handle operating-specific values, or our
black-box frame_t data types, or some portable format like struct timeval.

> Plus we have os-dependent choice of the leadout track in
> case of multisession CDs (CD+, CD Extra).
> NT gives me the audio session (=1st) leadout,
> FreeBSD gives me the CD-ROM data sesssion (=2nd) leadout.
This is problematic if the data from one system is not a subset of those
from the other. All we can do in this case is to have fields for both
sorts of leadout and to fill in only the one available. The server then
has the job of merging two partial records.

Robin.

--
R.M.O'Leary <robin nospam at acm.org> +44 7010 7070 44, PO Box 20, Swansea SA2 8YB, UK