Re: Fuzzy matches

Nick Lamb (njl98r nospam at ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 01:54:33 +0100 (GMT)

On Sat, 14 Aug 1999 robert nospam at moon.eorbit.net wrote:

> I've just updated the main server with support for fuzzy matches and
> xml submissions. I've also added Michael Glickman's SADP player to the
> download page.
>
> Check it out and let me know what you think...

I separately reported a bug in the current way this works, but really I
think you misunderstand my intention when I was talking about fuzzy match

For an individual user, the fuzzy match rocks because they are more likely
to find their CD in the index.

For the CDindex, it sucks, because the index doesn't get any corrective
feedback -- this is partly why CDDB's fuzzy match is so unreliable.

To fix this, when a direct match fails, perhaps we can handle fuzzy
matches differently in the three different output scripts...

HTML: List one (or more) fuzzy matches if found, and ask the user to
click an "Add" button if the fuzzy match was correct. This would then
add a new CDindex ID for the appropriate album.

TEXT: Show only the first match, but show in the text that it was done
with the fuzzy algorithm, so the user knows it's not in CDindex yet

XML: Return XML for one (or more) matches, but set a property=value
pair in each CDInfo like so <CDInfo match=fuzzy> then an intelligent
client can offer a menu to the user. The same client can then offer
to submit any accepted matches back through the new submit process
to CDindex.

Well, just some thoughts.

Nick.