Re: Is cdindex being developed at all

Nick Lamb (njl98r nospam at ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 17:17:48 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 17 Sep 1999, Espen Skoglund wrote:

> BTW, I don't like the idea of providing a general cdi_lib interface in
> C++. A regular C interface is preferred if cdindex is going to be
> integrated into other applications (which probably is the whole idea
> of having cdindex in the first place).

This point has been made. Proponents of C++ don't see it as a problem that
you have to recompile every single binary on the entire system with the
same compiler as all of your libraries. Since the C++ community has shown
no interest in an ABI which actually works I don't see any point in using
C++ for anything except end-user applications (and personally I think
GTK+ has a better OO GUI design than most C++ solutions anyway)

I don't think there's any active work on cdi_lib at this time, but I'd
love to be proved wrong. Unfortunately I'm rather too busy (Gimp is now
in feature freeze) to help except by shouting from the sidelines.

Nick.