Re: The competition

Jon A. Cruz (joncruz nospam at geocities.com)
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 20:17:29 -0700

Nick Lamb wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Sep 1999 robin nospam at acm.org wrote:
>
> > There is a long list of features, many of which are on our wish-list.
> > Unfortunately, it looks as if it is totally proprietary this time.
> > I've asked for developer information; we'll see what turns up.
>
> They've made at least one important (but common) mistake -- they are
> storing Unicode 16. That's not only a big waste of space, but the only
> platform that's using 16-bit interchange is Win32, and it's anybodies
> guess why they made such an odd decision.

Well, I haven't looked directly at their stuff, but them doing 16-bit
Unicode may not be all that bad, or at least has some reasons.

Basically COM (which is what ActiveX is built on) does all strings as
BSTR, which are 16-bit Unicode strings. So anyone doing Windows code for
them is using 16-bit Unicode already, even if they are not aware of it.

--
"My new computer's got the clocks, it rocks
But it was obsolete before I opened the box" - W.A.Y.