Re: Distributed Data

Jason Dufair (funne nospam at iquest.net)
Tue, 09 Mar 1999 14:50:45 -0500

I dislike the idea of a guardian and priveliges and the like. That
guardian may have it all wrong. I think the entry should be based on a
weighted entry. If 10 submissions say the song is "The Coming Rains" and
the 11th says "The Coming Rainz", the entry should pick the one that has
the most matches. I have tried to resubmit entries to CDDB that had typos,
blatant capitalization errors, etc. Don't know what happened to them.
This would provide entries based on majority opinion. You still have the
problem of one vote-one person, but in most cases, I think it will serve.

At 07:36 PM 3/9/99 +0000, you wrote:
>Justin R. Erenkrantz wrote:
>>
>> What about instead of USENET, have something built in to the server to spit
>> back submissions since X/Y/ZZZZ?? If you have proper priviliges or if you
>> submitted the initial entry, you can then modify the entry at will.
>
>I would be somewhat concerned about people abusing this system. Say
>someone registers a popular new CD as soon as it comes out, and then
>instead of filling the database entry in correctly, uses it to advertise
>a product or website?
>
>In the initial discussions I suggested that the first person to submit a
>CD entry has their email address stored. If someone else attempts to
>change this entry then the first person gets sent an email and is
>invited to reject the new entry if it is not serious. A person can also
>elect to resign as the "guardian" of particular database entries.
>
>Ian.
>
>--
>Ian Clarke
>http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/~iic
> "A subversive is anyone who can out-argue their government"

-----
Jason Dufair
funne nospam at iquest.net
http://www.iquest.net/~funne
http://www.iquest.net/~funne/jdufair.asc for PGP public key.
"A laugh for the newsprint nightmare, a world that never was
Where the questions are all 'why' and the answers are all 'because'"
-Bruce Cockburn