Re: Responding to your CDDB Inquiries (fwd)

Seth M. Landsman (seth nospam at job.cs.brandeis.edu)
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 15:10:55 -0500

On Tue, Mar 09, 1999 at 08:01:39PM +0000, Mike Oliphant wrote:
> On 9 Mar 1999, Kyle R. Rose wrote:
>
> > As I said yesterday, the library code should be distributed under a
> > non-viral license. That means LGPL at the very least
>
> This is precisely the kind of situation the LGPL is designed for. We can
> provide a .so and a .dll, both under the LGPL. Remember that this just
> applies to the interface code that we provide out of the goodness of our
> hearts. People who want a stand-alone, proprietary binary are welcome to
> implement the interface themselves.

Absolutely. Is there a protocol designed yet (just hopped on the
list). I'd be interested in working on (albeit slowly right now) a
reference implementation CD or MP3 player.

> What about trademarks, though? As far as I can tell, what Escient bought
> was the trademark CDDB. If we develop another protocol and give it an
> acronym, who controls the trademark? Has this been thought about in other
> projects (GTK, GNOME, KDE)?

What about assigning it to FSF? (sorry if this ends up being
flame bait).

-Seth

--
"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion"