Re: Just joined, more Entries...

Greg Stein (gstein nospam at lyra.org)
Tue, 09 Mar 1999 13:30:17 -0800

future readers]

Alain Schroeder wrote:

> At first: Hi!
>
> I just joined, and I don't know if this we're allready discussed.

Yah, it has :-) Unfortunately, the two mailing lists from
yesterday/last night don't have web archives. The cdin.org domain
finally prop'd to the root servers, so its mailing list and web archives
are now accessible. I've been copying posts/replies into there as I can
for future readers.

> We do not only need one Artist Entry per Track,

Agreed. This was suggested last night and will be one of the first
changes that I make to my code.

> I think a Year Entry per
> Track would be great too... (I missed that with cddb!)

Absolutely. Please see the specs and table design and stuff at
http://www.cdin.org/. I added the year in cuz I also missed it! (makes
auto-ID3 tagging a bitch without it)

> We need a Genre Entry - The directory solution with cddb wasn't so nice...

Hrm. I use CDex to rip stuff and it has a bazillion entries. Once you
get too many, then people don't know how to classify the thing. I
learned quite a bit about users' searching and classification behavior
from a prior job. Letting people enter genre's would be nasty :-)

The CDDB set of genres has about 10 entries. I think that works well.

My recommendation is to develop a fixed set of classifications and leave
it at that. Future discussions could add more, of course, but starting
with a few would be best.

> CDDB had entries for lyrics of the tracks, but i just found one of my
> 120+ cd's with lyrics... But it's a neat thing even if 99,9% of the people
> will never see anything of it :)

Yup. We talked about this, but would like to defer it because of the
lyrics.ch issues. I bet we'll probably make an accomodation for them in
the database, but ... later :-)

Cheers,
-g

--