Re: Database design for CDIndex

Tim P. Gerla (timg nospam at means.net)
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 15:53:09 -0600

On Tue, Mar 09, 1999 at 09:41:40AM -0600, Robert Pearse wrote:
> hey there,
>
> I like this alot! How wonderful that a Escient's new license was posted
> yesterday on ./ and today we have a GPL alternative!
>
> However, I have some concerns about the choice of MySQL. Actually, it's not
> the choice of MySQL, but it's the choice of *any* database. There database
> schema should be simple enough to work on a multiple of databases. What if a
> site wishes to be a node, yet has doubts about running MySQL. Or what if
> they have tons of bandwidth, 20 daddy sun servers, and are running Oracle?
> Becoming a node should be very simple -- in fact it should be even simplier
> than CDDB's setup.
>
> How about shooting me the schema and I'll take a whack at it? I'll also look
> into the data replication issues. XML might be the answer. . .

Ideally, the server should be able to run on various backends. I don't know
much about database programmign, but couldn't we just write a bit more code
to use either MySql or postgres? Or ldap for that matter.

--
-Tim
timg nospam at means.net | http://flow.geol.und.nodak.edu/

Can you live your life in a day Putting every moment in play Never hear a word they say As you watch the wheels go around -Savatage