Re: Reality Check and Ideas

Tim P. Gerla (timg nospam at means.net)
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 17:37:19 -0600

On Tue, Mar 09, 1999 at 03:27:22PM -0800, August Zajonc wrote:
> I agree with Alan on this one, that NNTP is not well suited at all...
>
> However, I am still skeptical of this DNS idea... As this project grows, and
> it will with all the hobyiests out there, and we start to throw in things
> like cover art and the like, or even want to be able to do more than query a
> cd hash (perhaps a artist query, or a song query or...) this DNS idea
> becomes unweildy.

Maybe we could set up a meta-server for the big stuff like cover art. Cover
art is abad idea since it's copyright, anyway...But a metaserver would work
anyawy. Query DNS server for URL.

> And no one has pointed out exactly whats wrong with the HTTP approch, aside
> from the fact that it's load may be slightly higher...

DNS solves our distributation and mirroring problem, and it's already
implemented and all.

--
-Tim
timg nospam at means.net | http://flow.geol.und.nodak.edu/

With all the things she keeps inside All the things that really matter The face puts on it's best disguise And all is well Until the heart betrays -Savatage