RE: Just joined, more Entries...

Mike Dwyer (sasafras nospam at nettaxi.com)
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 19:26:50 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 9 Mar 1999, Bill Kearney wrote:

> > works well.
> > >
> > > I can think about 10 genres of techno alone. I think there should be
> > > subcategories as well.
> >
> > And who is going to categorise down to that level? Not
> > everyone is that
> > fanatical about music (especially about techno <g>).
>
> De gustibus non desputandum est. (more or less) Matters of taste cannot be
> disputed.
>
> What are the 'official' record industry categories and subcategories? If
> they exist, then start there.

For the ID3 tags on mp3 files, there are 255 possible genres, and 79
defined at the time i got this list. Why not start here? People will
propably be using this database for easy naming/ID3 tagging of thier mp3
files most of the time.

Here is the list for those who are interested.

0 Blues 1 Classic Rock 2 Country
3 Dance 4 Disco 5 Funk
6 Grunge 7 Hip-Hop 8 Jazz
9 Metal 10 New Age 11 Oldies
12 Other 13 Pop 14 R&B
15 Rap 16 Reggae 17 Rock
18 Techno 19 Industrial 20 Alternative
21 Ska 22 Death Metal 23 Pranks
24 Soundtrack 25 Euro-Techno 26 Ambient
27 Trip-Hop 28 Vocal 29 Jazz+Funk
30 Fusion 31 Trance 32 Classical
33 Instrumental 34 Acid 35 House
36 Game 37 Sound Clip 38 Gospel
39 Noise 40 AlternRock 41 Bass
42 Soul 43 Punk 44 Space
45 Meditative 46 Instrumental Pop 47 Instrumental Rock
48 Ethnic 49 Gothic 50 Darkwave
51 Techno-Industrial 52 Electronic 53 Pop-Folk
54 Eurodance 55 Dream 56 Southern Rock
57 Comedy 58 Cult 59 Gangsta
60 Top 40 61 Christian Rap 62 Pop/Funk
63 Jungle 64 Native American 65 Cabaret