Re: Reality Check and Ideas

August Zajonc (augustz nospam at bigfoot.com)
Tue, 09 Mar 1999 16:26:56 -0800

There is endless worry about the central control of the new CDDB and how to
prevent it. I think putting a good license on the data should take care of
the issue and we can stop worrying about this side of the issue...

PGP took this cautious approach with its elegant web of trust model, but
look at how well verisign is doing in the SSL and even PKI areas... I think
the worries may end up hindering the adoption of the tech if we go down
everything decentralized NNTP style (what happens when I deceide to spam the
NNTP group. From dejanews? Everyone under that feed get cut off... That's
rediculous.)

August

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Kearney <wkearney nospam at gilman.edu>
To: 'cdindex nospam at freeamp.org' <cdindex nospam at freeamp.org>
Date: Tuesday, March 09, 1999 4:13 PM
Subject: RE: Reality Check and Ideas

> Sorry to piss in your bucket but
>
> NNTP is a flood fill scheme with no expiry other than time,
> no replication,
> no control of distribution pattern
>
> DNS is [buzzword hat on] a highly scalable replicating
> database with extensive
> caching including optional negative caches fault tolerance
> and load balancing

Ok, so take a protocol like NNTP and make it include a provision for
expirations. I don't see anything wrong with a flood-fill scheme. We're
talking a lot less data than news. No control or distribution pattern
sounds like a GOOD idea if you want to be sure the system can't be co-opted
into a commercially controlled venture like CDDB.

However, provisioning for some kind of "this query brough to you by X
company" might be worth considering. Realistically, if someone wanted to
'give' bandwidth to a server they might want something in return. Allowing
the clients to choose to use such a server is worth providing. I'm not
opposed to this mechanism if I can setup and use a server that shares the
data input/output load and doesn't require the advertising spam. Heck, I'd
be willing to leave the "brought to you by" in the query records if they
came from a commercial upstream server. In practice, however, I'd omit such
servers from my server search path. That is, if such a server existed. But
at least I'd be ABLE to do this. The current CDDB doesn't allow for this.