RE: Proposal for fields in DB

Larry Kain (lakain nospam at mediaone.net)
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 09:16:17 -0500

Are we using a flat file or an RDBMS? If this is really going to be
superior to CDDB shouldn't we choose the latter?

Consider the case of the artists: In some cases this refers to an
individual, sometimes to a group (which is composed of individuals). A
relational system can deal with such cases comprehensively, though it is a
lot of work up front.

Another point is that the most important artist connected with a recording
is not always the performer. I think we usually expect to find Beethoven
under Beethoven, not under the conductor or orchestra's name.

In the database that I have been developing I have found it essential to
make a distinction between abstractions and individual instances. A song,
symphony etc is a musical entity which has an identity independent of any
particular performance of it and is linked to the artist who wrote the
piece.

A track is a recorded instance of music by some particular performer.

An "album" (we are still using a term that originated to describe
collections of 78 RPM records where a single piece was spread out over
multiple disks), an album is a collection of recorded tracks. An album will
sometimes be composed of more than one compact disc. In some cases of
reissues of older music we find TWO albums on the same CD.

-larry