Re: My toughts on this issue

August Zajonc (augustz nospam at bigfoot.com)
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 10:08:01 -0800

I support the idea of the RDBMS, I think it will be vital in the end, and
what you give up in performace you gain in flexibilty... A fully normalized
db would be wonderful, but probably cause howls of agony from many here. CDs
containing Tracks containing songs written by authors and performed by
artists/groups. Do I see lots of table or what?

Now its time to site back and see what kind of code is cranked out. I almost
wish I wasn't heading down to Mexico for vacation, but not quite...

August

-----Original Message-----
From: robert nospam at moon.eorbit.net <robert nospam at moon.eorbit.net>
To: cdindex nospam at freeamp.org <cdindex nospam at freeamp.org>
Date: Wednesday, March 10, 1999 9:17 AM
Subject: My toughts on this issue

First off, my apologies for not being more involved. The /. effect hit
me like freight train yeasterday, and I'm still digging up from the
bottom of my mail queue.

A ton of great things have been said already -- I would like to take
criticism and praise and consider them both. Trust me, I heard from all
ends of the spectrum yesterday.

Let me try and respond to a few issues in one email:

- My use of MySQL -- MySQL works for me, and I have experience with it.
All the code for the CD Index is written in Perl::DBI. If you're
interested in running a CD Index mirror, but you oppose to the MySQL
usage, please use a DB of your own choice.

- My use of a RDBMS. A lot of people agree and a lot of people disagree
on this one. The basis for my choice is the R in RDBMS -- I really like
to be able to have the relational aspects. They will become more
important as more and different types of data get added to the system.
My use of an RDBMS doesn't exclude the use of XML -- I am not familiar
enough with XML to see the best application of it just yet, but I am
certainly open to it.

- Splitting the mailing lists. It sounds as though some people would
like to start with a completely different system. Please do -- I will
make the data available available by the weekend, ready for inclusion
into other systems. Moving this list to a place that has better
facilities is also fine with me -- however, I would like to see a list
that is dedicated to working on the existing system, apart from the
list that is discussing higher level issues.

Suggestions that people have made:

- Composers for tracking classical music. I would love to do this -- it
makes a ton of sense. Anybody want to take a stab at it when the .pl
scripts become available?
- Textual based data submission -- yup I wanna do it.
- A ton of others that I can't remember...

And finally, some of my philosophies:

- I believe in KISS (Keep it Simple Stupid). If it is not simple it
probably won't fly, or rather someone who is doing it simply will beat
you to the punch. That is why CD Index doesn't try to genre management
for instance. There is no good way of doing right now -- so let's not
do it half assed. (Four-assed might be better. :-) )

- Show me the code! Talk is cheap. Yesterday I put out the client side
of things, and I'm going to do my damnedest to get a CVS repository of
the perl scripts up today. If you would like to see something done,
check out the code and give it a try.

- I don't have my ego invested in this project. I care that this
service is free (today and in the future) for the internet community.
I don't care if the dominant system is CD Index, or some
derivative/splinter project -- as long as the Internet community
benefits I am happy and willing to support that project.

I live and work in San Luis Obispo, CA. Tomorrow I'll spend the day
going to the mothership (GoodNoise) in Palo Alto, so I probably won't
be responding to many e-mails tomorrow...

I psyched about all the engery.

--ruaok Freezerburn! All else is only icing. -- Soul Coughing

Robert Kaye -- robert nospam at moon.eorbit.net http://moon.eorbit.net/~robert