Re: The competition (CDDB2)

Michael Kaiser (kaiser nospam at sgh-net.de)
Thu, 02 Dec 1999 09:08:26 +0100

Hi Guys,

(for those who don't know, I run freedb.org and I am reading this list...
well... from time to time :-)

Nick Lamb schrieb:

> So people, every single client which speaks to CDDB2 will be forbidden
> from talking to us. This is probably illegal (at least in the EU)
> but it's unlikely to be defeated in a court of law. Instead we should
> make sure everyone writing a CD app knows that CDindex will be here,
> and won't EVER have such stupid restrictions.
>
> NB GPL applications cannot be modified to work with CDDB2, because
> that would break one license or the other. Therefore GPL writers
> should be particularly aware of the need to support CDindex, or
> failing that at least FreeDB.

I am getting close to the point where I convert from a flat-file-database to a
rdbms and I'd like to join forces as much as possible. Are you (still)
interested in a cooperation and how do you think we could work together more
closely?

--
mit freundlichen Gruessen/kind regards,
Michael Kaiser