Re: The competition (CDDB2)

Stephen van Egmond (svanegmond nospam at home.com)
Thu, 02 Dec 1999 18:35:45 EST

Michael Kaiser wrote:
>Lets try to work out some routines that cdindex and freedb can deal
>with as an inport and than SHARE it with as many progammers as
>possible. Naturally, improvements will follow, which fits the need
>of a working model.

OK. Let's start now.

Everyone seems like XML-like representations. I think it's a natural
for a representation of CD data. I think that how the back-end stores
it (rdbms, ndbm, xml, object-relational) doesn't particularly matter,
and that adapters can be readily written up to convert back and forth,
losing data as necessary.

Someone posted an XML DTD many months ago that seemed to be generally
liked. Could they repost it?

Once a data type definition is nailed down, we can talk about an API to
get to it.

/Steve