Re: Generalized rather than just CD

robert nospam at moon.eorbit.net
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 14:25:12 -0800 (PST)

On 5 Dec, Jared wrote:
> I've been reading this list since it came into being, and I have never
> really participated much. Now I would like to say this though, if you guys
> go towards a more generalized approach cd, mp3, dvd, and etc rather than
> just cd. I can see a couple of ways I might be able to help. How many of
> you have heard of Napster, the mp3 trading program? Well I'm looking into
> writing an open-source system similar to that, first for trading mp3, mpg,
> avi, jpg, png, etc. In which case I'll have enormous lists of hashes from
> mp3's and whatnot. You guys are using SHA1 hash though right? If that's so
> I could use that and maybe help you guys out on bulking up your database.
> This is all in research stage right now, so I'm not guaranteeing anything,
> just thought I'd mention it to you guys.

I'm totally down with that. I would like to definitely include MP3s in
the short term. All the keys are SHA1 right now. However, we I need to
think about how to use the keys wisely.

For instance, right now we have a SHA1 key for every CD, which contains
multiple tracks. An MP3 typically is only one track, so do you refer to
an MP3 of track 3 of a given CD as ivDFb2Tw6HzN.XdYZFj5zr1Q9EY-:3 or do
you give it a seperate id?

Also, there are MP3s that have never been on a CD, so how do you come up
with a meaningful SHA1 key? Random data which then gets hashed? The
title of the track?

--ruaok Freezerburn! All else is only icing. -- Soul Coughing

Robert Kaye -- robert nospam at moon.eorbit.net http://moon.eorbit.net/~robert