RE: Setting the standard

Paulo Candido (PauloC nospam at vesta.com.br)
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 12:53:49 -0300

> My main interest is in the client side of things (being a
> client author).
> Here is my (slightly devious) suggestion regarding the handling of
> clients. We should write a library that implements the following
> functionality:
>
> o lookup of discs using the existing CDDB protocol
> o lookup of discs using the new protocol
> o local storage of records in the new format
> o submission of entries in the new format
> o *no* code to do submissions in CDDB format

Since any existing client already uses the cddb format, I completely
agree that we have no need to release cddb submission client code.
Naturally the format must be supported for a while at the server side.
But we should mark it for extinction at the nearest feasible date
(depending on client maintainers feedback).

I was wondering about client storage. It will probably end up as a cache
server, storing the n recently retrieved entries (with n retricted by
the user) and optionally updating its stored data with the nearest
mirror from time to time.

I also think we should take our time, write down some specs is an
organized way and let the effort roll-out naturally. If we can replicate
CDDB functions now using GPLed code, we can think the new system slowly
and garantee the quality.

We should also agree now that www.freeamp.org/cdindex is the official
website for this project. And unify the mailing lists (at the list
owners discretion).

cheers

Paulo

cheers