RE: Categories

Larry Kain (lakain nospam at mediaone.net)
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 21:34:55 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0026_01BE6A74.AC49C960

Hi: I have just joined this group.

I agree with this thinking. Categories should be highly flexible. New
categories will certainly arise in the world of music.

For the last few years I have been working on a database for my own
collection of about 450 discs. My work so far has been with Microsoft Access
though I'm intending to move it to some other RDBMS that I can develop with
Java.

Some of the issues I have been dealing with are:

-"Albums" which have multiple discs.
-Works which span more than one track; a string quartet with four movements,
for example.
-Multiple "takes" of the same piece as are found on some Jazz discs.
-Changes of group members, instruments and "guest artists".
-The same recording appearing on more than one disc. For example one may
have a disc like
"The Best of Albino Wino" and also some of the albums where these tracks
were first released.
-Compilation discs with a number of separate artists.

I never even thought to include the concept of "genre" though, it seemed
too arbitrary. When the CDDB appeared I had to make some use categories in
order to move track information into my database.

Most of the messages I have read here so far seem to concerned with matters
of implementation, a much smaller number (such as this one) are talking
about database design. Should these topics be broken out into two separate
threads? The implementation stuff that I've read here I don't understand
at all. Can I be of any use in the other department?

-larry