Re: Categories

Tim P. Gerla (timg nospam at means.net)
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 19:51:36 -0600

On Tue, Mar 09, 1999 at 07:30:29PM -0500, Paul Quinn wrote:
> On the current topic of Categories and category granularity, CDDB has it all wrong. It's current 'official' categories are horribly unrepresentative of what is in its database. 50% of the entries are under 'Rock' alone. A new category system would have to either more granular or much more dynamic. Here's an idea just from the top of my head. Each entry has two categories, the main category from the official list, and a secondary category that is set by submitters indicating a more appropriate category if need be. The database would over time tally these secondary categories and determine whether a new official category should be generated. Bien?
>
> -Paul

I still think music genres are bogus. THe best idea I've seen so far is
having multiple genres per album (Sneaker pimps would be rock, alt, etc).
And whatever you do, do NOT seperate files into seperate directories per
genre like cddb does. Make it optional, and the world will be happy. (and so
will the developers)

--
-Tim
timg nospam at means.net | http://flow.geol.und.nodak.edu/

And if it's the fool who likes to rush in And if it's the angel who never does try And if it's me who will loose or win Then I'll make my best guess and I won't care why -Blues Traveler