RE: [cdin] Re: Distributed Data

Justin R. Erenkrantz (justin nospam at erenkrantz.com)
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 21:26:58 -0800

Geesh, there are too many lists! <sigh>

I think everyone is in agreement that spammers should NOT have access to
poster's email addresses. I think some have mentioned a submit-only root
server - this would handle this - all submissions get routed to ww.xx.yy.zz.
You can replicate everything BUT the email addresses. If there is a
conflict, you get notified... (Got to assume people are nice - I know I'll
regret saying this!)

If we have a shared server model (i.e. DNS), how do we handle conflicts
without email addresses? I know that we've talked about having a "group" of
people handling it, but that seems rather unwieldly (due to time constraints
of people involved). Another alternative is to have the server
automatically "guess" which submission is right. But, also remember, what
is popular is not always right, and what is right is not always popular.
;-)

Later,
Justin