Re: Summary of the days ideas #1

Greg Stein (gstein nospam at lyra.org)
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 06:08:01 -0800

Mike's original summary note has been linked off of the
http://www.cdin.org/ web site. I've extracted each of the items and
placed them on an "issues list" on the home page. Each issue has been
classified and also dropped into the client/server/proto area on the web
site.

Some of Robin's replies have been incorporated, although I have one
comment to make:

robin nospam at acm.org wrote:
> > 8. Mailing lists :-)
> > a) cdin.org
> > b) bigred.lcs.mit.edu
> > c) freeamp.org
> I have only posted to and read freeamp.org. cdin's web archive is nice,
> but I assume that someone will eventually feed it all the messages from
> the other lists anyway, so I won't CC there.

Robin: and as a result, there is no way for me to reference your reply
to Mike's email. It is not available on the web.

IMO, the cdindex mailing list is a pain. It munges the Reply-To (which I
can definitely state has destroyed at least one poster's Reply-To that
he needed, not to mention screwing up mail replies in general), and
there is no archive for it. People keep signing on saying "I don't know
if you've discussed this before, but ...". There is no way to send them
back to read that information. There is no way to reference posts such
as yours since you refuse to post to a list that has an archive (such as
cdin or freecddb-developer). I'm not going to copy posts to a web page
to compensiate for the fact that you (and others) could use a better
mailing list for your communications.

I've sent mail to the other maintainers, offering to merge the lists.
Haven't heard anything (in terms of merging in any direction). Any
merging of another mailing list's archive into the cdin web archive
could only happen once they stopped receiving traffic. I'm not even sure
if a cdindex archive exists. If it does, then I'd need a standard Unix
mailbox format for merging into the cdin archive. I presume
freecddb-developer has an mbox archive (and if not, that we could munge
one together).

Cheers,
-g

--