Re: HELLO source maintainer! (was Re: FreeBSD port - data needed)

robert nospam at moon.eorbit.net
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 21:23:05 -0800 (PST)

On 12 Mar, Marc van Woerkom wrote:

> Are you the one who keeps the Linux code right now?
>
> 1) common code base
>
> If you look at my hacked cdindex-0.2 version, you can easily
> see what parts of code are common between Linux and FreeBSD
> and what are not.
>
> Even if this is a rather trivial client I would like to have
> a common code base.
>
> If you don't mind I could make it use the configure mechanism
> for this purpose.

Someone has already done this. We just released the 1.0 client, that
now uses SHA1 instead of MD5. This version should be stable, so I would
love to see FreeBSD patches against that code!

> 2) improvements of the www site
>
> Is it possible to work with you on improving the web site?

Yes, I will post the server source later today or tomorrow.

> I would like to see some growth statistics like on
> www.distributed.net - shouldn't be hard, if one can
> run gnuplot on your server.

I would love to see it. If gnuplot is not installed, I'll install it.

> Even if the present cdindex format is just a very preliminary
> one, I would like to have more retrieval features.

Yup -- a lot of people have requested different submission retrieval
methods. Have you tried the get.pl script? Instead of hget.pl?

--ruaok Freezerburn! All else is only icing. -- Soul Coughing

Robert Kaye -- robert nospam at moon.eorbit.net http://moon.eorbit.net/~robert