Re: Disc ID Calculation

Greg Stein (gstein nospam at lyra.org)
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 11:16:06 -0800

Hey Jeremy... small world :-)

Jeremy Hylton wrote:
> The description of Disc Id Calculation at
> http://www.freeamp.org/cdindex/how.html describes a process
> substantially different from the one implemented in cdindex-1.0.0.
> Can anyone clarify what the intended calculation algorithm is?
> I would assume that the code is correct, but it is apparently adding
> 100 8-bytes frame offsets regardless of the number of the tracks on
> the disk.
>
> It would also be helpful to have a specification that doesn't depend
> on knowledge of the Linux cdrom interface. I'd like to implement an
> id generator on Solaris, for example.

An alternative that doesn't require a new algorithm is the CDIN system.
Please check out http://www.cdin.org/.

Regarding the CD Index algorithm: there have been several posts about
those extra zeros (since an MD5 hash is sensitive to them). I'm not sure
whether a change was resolved to be made or what, tho. Personally, I'm
not sure that I understand the reason for the change, but I bet it was
somewhere in the initial flood of email that ensued after the break of
the Slashdot story re: CDDB.

[ I would love for somebody on the CD Index list to educate me on the
rationale for the change... thx! ]

Cheers,
-g

--