Re: Disc ID Calculation

Bert Vermeulen (bert nospam at biot.com)
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 20:31:19 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 18 Mar 1999, Jeremy Hylton wrote:

> The description of Disc Id Calculation at
> http://www.freeamp.org/cdindex/how.html describes a process
> substantially different from the one implemented in cdindex-1.0.0.
> Can anyone clarify what the intended calculation algorithm is?
> I would assume that the code is correct, but it is apparently adding
> 100 8-bytes frame offsets regardless of the number of the tracks on
> the disk.

Yes, but the whole thing gets zeroed first -- so 00000000 is added for
every track that doesn't exist. The page needs to be updated to reflect
that...

> It would also be helpful to have a specification that doesn't depend
> on knowledge of the Linux cdrom interface. I'd like to implement an
> id generator on Solaris, for example.

I've been trying to get it working with libcdaudio, an OS-independent
library for audio CD-related functions. The good news is, it works on Linux.
The bad news: libcdaudio doesn't seem to be portable anymore. It compiles on
Solaris now, but it sure doesn't work :)

Bert Vermeulen
bert nospam at biot.com