Re: Feedback needed

robert nospam at moon.eorbit.net
Tue, 18 May 1999 10:18:16 -0700 (PDT)

On 18 May, Marc van Woerkom wrote:
>> 500 Internal Server Error
>> The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration (...)
>
> While we are at it - sooner or later we have to guard the server code in a
> way such that the system can't be hurt by erroneous -or worse- maliciously
> crafted client requests.

I've been thinking about how to do this and I really haven't come up
with anything. The fact that we want a completely decentralized
and automated system makes it hard to prevent people from malciously
tampering with the system. In essence, every system I conjured up is
vulnerable to attacks.

Instead, I hope that we can get the CD Index data massively distributed
so that if one node gets attacked, that node can simply be 'purged' and
brought back online to have it re-download all the data from its peers.
We may also want to build in some journaling/back-out features that
allow a CD Index administrator to say, "back out the last three days of
changes" if someone started tampering with the data 3 days ago. Yes,
work will get lost, but if there are enough servers in the system that
shouldn't be noticable.

Am I off in the deep end here?

--ruaok Freezerburn! All else is only icing. -- Soul Coughing

Robert Kaye -- robert nospam at moon.eorbit.net http://moon.eorbit.net/~robert