Re: [cdin] Re: Distributed Data

Greg Stein (gstein nospam at lyra.org)
Tue, 09 Mar 1999 14:41:17 -0800

Tom Rothamel wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Mar 1999, Justus Pendleton wrote:
>
> > This would seem to distribute responsibility for the system rather
> > than keeping it in the hands of a few. Everyone gets to be their own
> > moderator -- if they so desire. No personal data is kept anywhere.
>
> This is the right way of doing this, IMO. With the current databses that
> people are proposing and creating, we're once again putting all the
> information in a centralized database, leading to the same problem that
> lead to all of this.

I really disagree.

It is very impractical to try and distribute a database like this.
Especially when you consider that we're trying to develop something
clean and simple that people can actually use and deploy. I'm not even
going to try to begin to describe some of the problems associated with
trying to distribute a database like this.

Having a single server is not a big deal as long as the DATA is readily
available. The problem with CDDB is that they stopped making database
dumps of the data. As soon as that happens, then you're up shit creek.

> [ Please cc me with followups, as I aparrently lost some of this thread in
> the multi-list confusion. ]

It is because of that damn Reply-To on the cdindex mailing list :-(

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/