Re: Responding to your CDDB Inquiries (fwd)

Gary D. Foster (Gary.Foster nospam at Corp.Sun.COM)
09 Mar 1999 14:48:10 -0800

JK> We don't license the data....we license the service the
JK> identifies the disc.

I fail to see anything beyond a semantic difference here.

JK> No one is bullying anyone. Unfortunately, the harsh reality
JK> of your "hey guys" approach is that we would be blown off.
JK> What everyone seems to forget is that while people have made
JK> some data entries (which is entirely voluntary by the way), no
JK> one is asked to buy the servers, pay for the Internet
JK> connections, manage the servers, do the backups, answer the
JK> trouble tickets, support the developers, clean up the data,
JK> etc, etc, etc.....we do that. And did I mention that we still
JK> provide the service for free??

Boo hoo. Did you even _try_ the soft approach? Nope... you just
automatically assumed that we were all a bunch of long-haired
peace/love/granola crowd who would scream at anyone trying to make any
dirty money. Yet again, a complete misunderstanding of this
community.

And I fail to have any sympathy for your woes and all the "hard work"
you all put in... I've seen more elaborate efforts run completely
voluntarily on DONATED hardware. Ever heard of the distributed.net
project, for example? Oh, and can I mention... you're about to see
the birth of a completely free CD database service?

JK> Point of order. The hacker community did not create CDDB.
JK> Two very hard working engineers, Steve Schert and Ti Kan, put
JK> their blood, sweat, and tears into making the service. Any
JK> claim that the hacker community created the service is total
JK> bull. Entering in records into the database pales in
JK> comparison to the thousands of hours that Steve and Ti put in
JK> to creating and supporting CDDB. Speaking of shameful, the
JK> claim that data entry basically created the service is totally
JK> disrespectful of the work these guys did on their free
JK> time.....hard working engineers like yourself.

You are out of order, sir. Your database is useless without my data.
You are licensing access to the data, no matter how you choose to
phrase your semantics. This data was entered by _us_, not by the
"blood, sweat and tears" of your example. Creating a database backend
and a communications protocol is hardly rocket science. I've done it
several times and I'm not even net.famous. There's a lot of people
FAR more talented than I who have done it as well.

If you disagree with my approach, why don't you wipe all your
databases and start from scratch? See how many people find your
service useful if you don't have any data _in_ your databases. I've
made a living designing databases, protocols, and such and I know for
a fact that the database is of trivial importance... it's the data
ITSELF that is contained within that is important. A phone book isn't
a phone book unless it contains telephone numbers.

-- Gary F.

(my opinions are my own and don't necessarily represent Sun
Microsystems, yadda yadda yadda)

--
'Any attempt to brew coffee with a teapot should result in the error
code "418 I'm a teapot". The resulting entity body MAY be short and