Re: [cdin] Coordination issues

Greg Stein (gstein nospam at lyra.org)
Tue, 09 Mar 1999 14:51:41 -0800

Paulo Candido wrote:
> As I see it, between yesterday and today half a dozen persons with the
> resources readily available launched mailing lists and/or web sites to
> support the project. While I can only be happy to see such a prompt
> reaction, I think that right now the last thing we need are two or three
> competing groups working on different specs. I would also like to point
> out that hosting the project in any form should not give the host any
> provileges when it come to design/coding issues. Those are decided, as
> always, by peer vote and running code.
>
> So I would urge all list owners and site owners to decide among them who
> will be responsible for what. That decision should probably be based on
> who will be less burdened by the task (remember that we will probably
> need cvs sometime soon). After that we should probably think about how
> we proceed to draft our protocol and to divide ourselves in groups to
> code the reference implementations. But that is still future.

I hear you :-) ... and that is the thinking when I set up the stuff.

Here is a breakdown of what I am providing or can provide to the
community for this effort. Each of these things are already set up,
rather than being "I can get to that".

* cdin.org domain
* mailing list with archives
(using the very nice Mailman package)
* web pages
* distributed web page authoring using DAV and sitecopy
* CVS server with anonymous and auth access
* ample disk space for a database
* decent bandwidth (T1)

Here is also a nice benefit not related to technology:

* I have no corporate or educational affiliations to interfere with the
resources that I provide, the work that I do, or any other contribution.
If I provide something to the community, then nobody will override that
and it won't disappear when I graduate or work somewhere else.

Needless to say, I set up cdin.org and the related facilities with the
intent to aid the community. I'm more than willing to help collapse the
mailing lists and provide additional facilities to any who need it for
this effort.

Cheers,
-g

--