Re: Responding to your CDDB Inquiries (fwd)

Mike Oliphant (oliphant nospam at ling.ed.ac.uk)
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 22:45:09 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 9 Mar 1999, Jim Kinney wrote:

> Hi Mike:
>
> I am cool with answering in a forum. Please see my answers below.

Thanks, Jim. That was the response I needed. I recognize that you are
real people on the "other end of the line". The problem is that your job
is to commercialize a sharing of information that we want to be free. You
are, of course, within your rights to restrict access to the servers that
you own, and license them under then terms that you want. The problem (for
me at least) was that the license agreement I received was ambiguous about
what exactly was being licensed. Thank you for clarifying the details.

As an author of free software, however, I am unable to accept your terms.
I will not place advertisments in my software as long as I think there can
be a free alternative. I think the traffic on this list and the attention
given to this issue has demonstrated that a free alternative will come. I
wish you the best of luck in your business venture, but I will not devote
my time to it.

Best Regards,

Mike