Re: [cdin] Re: Distributed Data

Justus Pendleton (Justus.Pendleton nospam at ascend.com)
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 17:58:50 -0500

On Tue, Mar 09, 1999 at 05:49:15PM -0500, Kyle R. Rose wrote:
> Well, we also want to consider the problem of dead links. In other
> words, a central server with mirrors avoids the problem of people
> losing their net connections, or stupidly setting up servers on
> part-time PPP connections, etc.

How can a central server cope with me disagreeing with the editors at
said central server? I think that KOR Sound Color 2 should go under
Pop not Soundtracks. I think that the Composer for Pathetique should
be "Ludwig von Beethoven" not "Beethoven". I think the title of songs
should be written in the original Japanese not the translated
English.

And then say I have a friend who agrees with me on all these things.
Say I have a lot of friends who agree with me on these things ;')

I guess I just don't understand how the central server model deals
with this. Can someone explain it a little better maybe?

The problem of people losing net connections or setting up servers on
part-time connections seems to hold regardless of whether we are using
a central server or not :-)

--
Justus Pendleton