Re: Just joined, more Entries...

Dave Ahn (ahn nospam at vec.wfubmc.edu)
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 19:39:06 -0500

On Tue, Mar 09, 1999 at 07:26:50PM -0500, Mike Dwyer wrote:

> For the ID3 tags on mp3 files, there are 255 possible genres, and 79
> defined at the time i got this list. Why not start here? People will
> propably be using this database for easy naming/ID3 tagging of thier mp3
> files most of the time.

[snip]

To tell you the truth, I think 255 is too many.

I stated this (rather mutely) in an earlier message, but I'd like to
reiterate my proposal:

The genres should not be mutually exclusive. The problem is that different
people categorize music in different ways. It's very common to find
Morphine under Rock, Metal, Alternative, etc. or Enya under Classical,
New Age, Pop, Rock, etc.

I think that genres are only useful when it comes to helping me find
or search for music within a particular group. So, I should get a
listing for Sneaker Pimps regardless of whether I search Rock, Metal,
or Alternative instead of just one heading. But obvious discrepencies
such as Bach listed under Death Metal should be corrected (presumably
by someone who notices it).

Second, if we go with the idea of individual track, artist, and
compilation idea (or something similar) I proposed, it would be better
and easier to categorize the artist into a genre than/in addition to
individual songs or albums. Yes, there are gray areas, but at least
all songs and albums by Lucinda Williams will be guaranteed to fall under
Country, even if some individual ones might also fall under Rock.

Dave Ahn / ahn nospam at vec.wfubmc.edu