Re: CD Index is cool, but we need more STUFF :)

August Zajonc (augustz nospam at bigfoot.com)
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 22:02:14 -0800

Please don't send that e-mail out quite yet. Premeture anouncments are a
bane for everyone... CD Index is unlikly to be the final say, and if we keep
changing things people will be rightly upset... Have we deceided anything
final so that people can code to it? No, especially not people who are not
directly involved in the project. Hold on!

Prototypes are only a few weeks a way at the most, and they can point to the
cddb replacement scripts any time...

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason von Nieda <jason nospam at vonnieda.org>
To: cdindex nospam at freeamp.org <cdindex nospam at freeamp.org>
Date: Wednesday, March 10, 1999 9:10 PM
Subject: CD Index is cool, but we need more STUFF :)

Hi all,

First, the CD Index move is great. I love it. I submitted
around 50 CDs today, and will probally do another 50 before bed.
Next, we need some stuff:
1) We need links on the main page (or from the download section) to
software that knows how to talk to the CD Index. I am currently
teaching CD Notify, which is a nice system tray CD player for
Windows, how to talk to the CD Index. I am sure other people
will be doing the same soon. Also, I am going to send a e-mail
to all the authors of CD programs listed on www.cddb.com to let
them know about the CD Index and why they should make their software
talk to it.
2) More statistics! The more people can see that something is
happening, the more they will be willing to take the time to
submit CDs. You currently have # of Albums, ids and artists.
I would like to see # of each of those submitted today / this
month and so on.
3) Define how software should submit info. People are gonna want
to get this into their programs quickly, so define it right away
so there arent 50 ways to do it.
4) *Need* to be able to edit disc information. I mistyped one
of my discs today and didnt realize it till I submitted. My mistake,
sure, but others will do it to.
5) Probally wanna include some other info with submissions, especially
a place for the sumitter to identify themselves with a name, email or
URL or something. People like to get credit (even this tiny bit)
for taking time to do something. I dig seeing that people I know
entered the disc I am listening to.

Thats about it for now. Hope noone takes offense to the tone of
this e-mail. I am really excited about the CD Index. When I first
found CDDB I thought it was the coolest thing around. I think CD Index
has the ability to be much better. Also, don't think that this e-mail
is a list of orders or anything. As soon as the code is online for
the stuff that exists already, I will be hacking it away with the
rest of you! :)

--
    Jason von Nieda       | "We can count on the fact
http://www.vonnieda.org  |  that the spread of strong