Re: CD index DTD weird

robert nospam at moon.eorbit.net
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 18:28:17 -0700 (PDT)

On 31 May, Thorsten Schnier wrote:

> Sure. There is one instance of ID in there that should have been Id.
> I've tried it with the treeviewer that comes with IBM's java xml parser
> (www.alphaworks.ibm.com), it works with this modification.

I just got around to cleaning up the DTD, and not wanting to deal with
installing Java on my Linux box, I found this XML validating web page:

http://www.stg.brown.edu/service/xmlvalid/

It works quite nicely -- it even found an ambiguity. I've now updated
the pages and fixed where the dtd points, etc. Thanks for your feedback.

> It would probably be a good idea to put a version number into the name
> of the DTD, so you can introduce a new version in case demands change.

So this would have to be something like CDInfo-0.1.dtd? Or is there
another way of doing this?

> (The URL in the header still points to freeamp.org, btw). I just noticed
> there is no space for additional information, per track or per CD...

Yes, for right now I want to keep it simple. Many people have thrown
out many pieces of information that they would like to track in the CD
Index. However, I've been reluctant to just add in little bits and
pieces here in there, in lieu of a comprehensive design. (Especially
give my level of XML experience) I feel that I've got a better grasp on
XML now that I've made some changes and updated the DTD.

Once we achieve feature parity with CDDB and we have more widespread
community support, I'd be glad to add more data to the system, and
evetually shoot to be as cool as the internet movie database.

> Also, would it be good to allow for CDs from a multi-cd-box to be
> combined into one (database) record ? Endless possibilities...

Indeed -- see above. :-)

> Interested, yes. Time at the moment, no. Too many things happening in my
> life currently (getting married, finishing first lecturing position,
> finding new one, ...). I am teaching internet programming, so the
> project is a perfect example (frontend, backend, XML as middle

Well, if you come to find some spare time, I would love to have you
help out. Thanks for pointing out the problems in my DTD.

--ruaok Freezerburn! All else is only icing. -- Soul Coughing

Robert Kaye -- robert nospam at moon.eorbit.net http://moon.eorbit.net/~robert