Re: Generalized rather than just CD

Nick Lamb (njl98r nospam at ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 04:14:46 +0000

On Sun, Dec 05, 1999 at 10:16:51PM -0500, Alan Cox wrote:
> The dvdplay in progress tools support a dvddb draft. Obviously that can
> be updated for some kind of standard later but the concept is already
> appearing

The industry still hasn't learnt from CDs that you should put a label
on the INSIDE with the data, as well as on the outside with the price
sticker?

Well, their loss I guess. Does a DVD have a TOC, or some analagous
structure which can be contemplated by a hash function for a unique
identifier? The (current) policy of CDindex to hang on to the whole
audio TOC is very good for this stage of development.

Of course, I'm not sure quite what user's will USE this for, do you
have "background movies" while you work, with a desktop player? Maybe
you will next year :)

Nick.